All Souls Chapel
Cathedral Basilica of St Louis
The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis is well known for the beauty of its mosaic collection (41 million pieces). Covering 83,000 sq ft, it is one of the largest mosaic collections in the world. Taking 76 years to complete, the installation of mosaics in the interior began in 1912 and completed 1988.
The All Souls Chapel is different than the other chapels in the Cathedral. The walls are marble, and the intricate mosaic work is only on the altar and the ceiling. The chapel is positioned over the basement crypt of Cardinal Glennon, Cardinal Ritter, Cardinal Carberry, and Archbishop May. The style is Viennese Reconstruction and uses black marble to symbolize death and white marble to symbolize resurrection. The red hats of the Cardinals hang in this chapel above their burial places.
For previous episodes of Ruby Tuesdays
© by rgb for “On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea”, 2011 – 2013