Happy Gingerbread Day!!
Since it is summer in the USA, I decided to offer you an alternative to Gingerbread Cake or Bread; a versatile and lighter version for the celebration of the day. I found this posted by “well seasoned” Colleen Sowa on “Just A Pinch Recipe Club“. The Kitchen Crew awarded this recipe a Blue Ribbon! Enjoy!
(Gift in a Jar)
12 half pint canning jars
4 c light corn syrup
4 c dark molasses
5 T fresh ginger (grated)
4 T ground ginger powder
5 T ground cinnamon powder
½ tsp ground cloves powder
3 c brown sugar
- Put all ingredients in a large pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 15 – 20 minutes (or until the syrup is well blended and ginger is cooked. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour into sterilized 1/2 pint jars. Wipe rims of jars. Let cool completely. Place lids and rings. Store in refrigerator.
- Put a pretty ribbon on each jar with a recipe card:
- Stir 1 Tablespoon syrup into a cup of fresh hot coffee or tea. Add cream. Stir well. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and dust lightly with ground cloves.
- Drizzle on French toast, waffles, pancakes and biscuits.
- Use for flavoring in milkshakes or on ice cream.
- Use as a flavorful ingredient in cakes or muffins
- Note: Remember to keep refrigerated
Enjoy ~~ Happy Gingerbread Day!!
© by rgb for “On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea”, 2011 – 2012