“Everywhere immigrants have enriched and strengthened the fabric of American life.”
~ John F. Kennedy
WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge:
Ellis Island first opened in 1892 and was closed in 1954. Over 12 million people entered the United States through Ellis Island. President Lyndon Johnson officially proclaimed Ellis Island part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument on May 11, 1965.
In 1982, President Ronald Reagan asked Lee Iacocca, chairman of the board of Chrysler Corporation of America, to help restore both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
The Statue of Liberty – Ellis Island Foundation was formed to raise the $230 million needed for the restoration of these two important national monuments. In the largest restoration project of its kind in American history, $170 million in individual and corporate donations were devoted to the Ellis Island main building project alone. To date, more than 20 million Americans have contributed to the restoration plans of the foundation.
Today, preservation efforts continue. The island’s remaining abandoned buildings are currently being stabilized and rehabilitation of some is already underway.
Previous: Weekly Photo Challenge Entries
© rgb for “On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea”, 2011 – 2014