One of the Painted Ladies of Martha’s Vineyard
The first camp-meeting in what became known as Wesleyan Grove was held in 1835. In later years the congregations grew tremendously, and many of the thousands in attendance were housed in large tents known as “society tents.” Over time, families began leasing small lots on which to pitch their own individual tents. In the 1860s and 1870s, the family tents were rapidly replaced with permanent wooden cottages. At one time there were about 500 cottages; today there are just over 300. Over time the MVCMA has become increasingly interdenominational. Many of the cottages have been owned by the same families for generations.
Cee’s Fun Foto:
Previous entries for Cee’s Fun Foto
© by rgb for “On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea”, 2011 – 2014